Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lots and lots of reading!

So this week I read three books. I don't know what it was, I was just really in the mood for reading. The first book is the one mentioned in my previous post. A great read, you should definitely check it out. The second book was "The Girls from Ames". I just loved this book. It was like secretly reading someone's diary. Filled with laughter, some tears, and all heart. What I most identified with in this book was the bond between all the women. While I don't have close "friends" from childhood that I still stay in touch with, I have my three sisters. As we have grown in age, we've become great friends, as well as sisters. I know we each have our own lives, friends, worries, responsibilities, families even, but we are always there for each other; whether to lend an ear, offer a laugh, or pick each other up when we fall. I totally recommend this book to all you ladies out there. And to my sisters, if you are reading this, keep an eye out. A copy is coming your way soon.



The third book I read this week was "Case Histories". I have seen this book hundreds of times in the store. It is always on the shelf, we always take it in, and I have always been curious about it. Someone recently told me they heard it was good and I finally checked out a copy from work. It wasn't what I thought it would be, although it was a good read and I would recommend it. It only took me two nights to read and kept me turning the pages looking for more answers. The ability of Kate Atkinson to weave together so many characters, time lines, and plot points and keep them all straight, for both the reader and the story itself, completely amazed me. The only complaint I had of the story was that I wanted more intrigue, mystery. This is really a book of character sketches disguised as a murder mystery, but the "case histories" are so well written that the lack of surprise revelation can hardly be held against the book. It is really that well written. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I rather enjoyed it. Any suggestions for what I should read next? Let me know.

2 comments:

Just Joan said...

I can't wait to get the book! I still need to return the last book you gave me. Love you!

Sabra said...

Something to look forward to! I'm so excited. I want to read the first one you posted the other day, too.